The Golden Lane, Prague, Czech Republic
Being one the most frequently visited place of Prague Castle, Golden Lane was created in a bailey between original Romanesque walling and Gothic ramparts to the north, supplemented by three artillery towers – the Daliborka, White, and the Powder Tower. People serving at the Castle took advantage of the arcades during the building of the late Gothic fortifications and create a modest dwellings for themselves, which unfortunately burn down in 1541. Rudolph II allowed Castle gunners to construct their home in the arcades, and by adding extensions to these cottages to cover a space of 2 x 6 m, the lane itself was somewhat narrowed. At one time, access through the passage was even more cramped dure to properties being placed on the opposite (south) died, thereby leaving a mere one-metre gap in the middle. At the end of the 17th century,, nuns at St George Monastery requested that something be done to distance themselves from pub smells and noise emanating from the lane. This resulted in a dividing wall near White Tower being put up and the western part of the lane behind the monastery being demolished. In later years, it was mainly th poor who found refuge here. However, as of the 20th century, artist begun to move in, seeking tranquility and inspiration for their work.
Note: It was in the House nº 22 where Franz Kafka wrote stories published in 1920 entitle ” The Village Doctor”.